Thursday, September 17, 2009

Gay Called...It's for Kevin.

CONTINUATION…


Of course I don’t think I made it beyond the first 10 minutes of Kevin’s arrival home before I spilled everything about my conversation with Stefan. I don’t know what I was expecting from Kevin, fireworks, a fist through wall perhaps…I wouldn’t have put any of it past him. I think he was in a real state of shock. If you assume that life exists on a range of say 1 to 10, there are many people who go through their entire lives living between 4 and 7. When something outside of this number range actually takes place, the varying types of responses are as different as the people they are happening to. With Kevin, I handed him a 10, at least in his world and it just didn’t seem to be computing with him, as if there was no reasonable way for him to process anything of what I had just told him. I know he wasn’t happy. He barely spoke to me for two days, but would occasionally offer a weak, “I can’t believe I’ve been ‘outed’ in Europe.”

For those of you who missed the story picked up by the Associated Press, at least in Germany, the air waves were abuzz…from Berlin to Heidelberg…a ripple of shock and awe was felt traveling down the Rhine and reports of mass disbelief came from as far as France. Kevin had been OUTED in Europe…yes, fans, it’s true…no doubt disappointing some, but in general adding to his already freaky superstar status there. I fielded calls from Cher, Bette Midler and Richard Simmons…Obama’s office was ready to issue a statement but Kevin informed me on Sept. 11th that they had decided to fly the nations flags at half mast instead, no doubt in memoriam for the throngs of women who were mourning the lost possibility of ever carrying Kevin’s seed to fruition and producing an heir. I draped all the mirrors in the house in with a lovely black toile that Kevin himself picked out on a fabric shopping spree just weeks before the story broke. Here in the States it has been my general policy to neither confirm nor deny, but the wave of water cooler talk had, by week’s end, been felt from The Hague to the Vatican. Had it not been for the 9/11 anniversary dominating the press, I fully expect Kevin would have had to call a press conference to address his saddened and adoring fans. It may take years before I am fully forgiven and economically, Kevin is able to recover from the fallout and backlash…and on a side note, Glen Beck, your telegram was just hateful.

I tried to listen in on Kevin’s subsequent phone conversation with Stefan the following weekend, but decided to leave him and his friend in peace. Stefan has been calling and emailing me anyway, and if he wanted to share anything, I’m sure I would hear about it at a later date.

It has now been about a month since Kevin’s mother left our home, and few weeks since all of Europe was deprived of Kevin’s heterosexual prowess…and things at home have thankfully settled back into our normal routine. I, of course, hide all the bags of fan mail expressing distain and disgust at Kevin’s ‘choice’. Mostly there has been a lot of productive conversations about how Kevin can effectively set healthy boundaries with his mother so her next visit, due around Christmas, by the way, won’t be as painful. I have also had my travel agent forward many brochures of top of the line spa vacations that I may choose to embark upon and have Kevin pay to send me too, should I decide I don’t want to deal with Mary on her next visit. No joke. At the very least, leaving the brochures lying around the house has provided good impetus for Kevin to continue to deal with resolving many of the issues of the last month in a timely fashion. I’m not asking for solutions to everything overnight, but there has to be a general commitment to moving forward, and so far, Kevin has not disappointed…I just have to remember that it won’t all happen in MY time, but his own.

My fingers are a little achy from all this typing, probably the longest letter I have ever written. I hope you are enjoying a productive visit to Ireland and hope you have a safe return. I’ll let you know when Kevin’s interview with Oprah is due to air…and until next time…kisses.

Love,

Steve

1 comment:

  1. Lots of chuckling here. :D

    WiLL there be progress with Kevin? Only time will teLL.

    GREAT fast-paced reading start to my day. Keep on keeping on -- I enjoy every twist and turn.

    ReplyDelete